What are the brown bits in a pan called?
What is the meaning of fond in cooking?
The term ‘fond’ comes from the French language, and it means ‘foundation’ or ‘base’. This is an apt term to use in cook, as ‘fond’ is used as the foundation of many sauces and is found at the base/bottom of your pan after cooking.
Fond is the brown bits that stick to the bottom of your pan when you are cooking. Fond does not develop well on non-stick surfaces. This stickiness isn’t a bad thing; in fact it can be quite a tasty thing. You can easily create a pan sauce by adding liquid (e.g. wine or stock) to your pan at the end of cooking, scraping up the fond, and reducing it into a sauce–a technique known as deglazing.
In order to develop a good fond, you’ll want a good stainless steel frying pan. We recommend the 10-inch and 12-inch All Clad triply stainless steel frying pans.
How do you not burn fond?
You will want to make sure that you don’t scorch the fond. Temperature can be maintained easily on a quality gas or induction stove. An electric range is a bit more difficult to maintain, so you’ll want to make sure your golden brown fond doesn’t turn black! If you are stuck with an electric range, I’d suggest setting a second burner at a lower temperature so that you can easily transfer it over if your main burner gets too hot.
Keep reading our food glossary for more culinary definitions.
- A kitchen staple featuring a flat base and flared, mid-sized sides that allow for easy flipping and tossing
- Classic tri-ply construction, made with a responsive aluminum core bonded together with 2 layers of durable, stainless steel all the way around for maximum durability and fast, even heat distribution
- Secured with riveted stainless-steel handles to ensure a safe grip and to add a bit of style with stainless-steel lid to match
- Compatible with all cooktops including induction, and oven and broiler-safe up to 600°F
- 12-inch covered fry pan with wide flat base and versatile low-profile shape
Pricing last updated on September 13, 2022 - 7:30 MDT. Pricing and images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.