What is the meaning of fond in cooking?
The term ‘fond’ comes from the French language, and it means ‘foundation’ or ‘base’. This is an apt term to use in cook, as ‘fond’ is used as the foundation of many sauces and is found at the base/bottom of your pan after cooking.
Fond is the brown bits that stick to the bottom of your pan when you are cooking. Fond does not develop well on non-stick surfaces. This stickiness isn’t a bad thing; in fact it can be quite a tasty thing. You can easily create a pan sauce by adding liquid (e.g. wine or stock) to your pan at the end of cooking, scraping up the fond, and reducing it into a sauce–a technique known as deglazing.
In order to develop a good fond, you’ll want a good stainless steel frying pan. We recommend the 10-inch and 12-inch All Clad triply stainless steel frying pans.
Keep reading our food glossary for more culinary definitions.
- TIMELESS PROFESSIONAL APPEAL: All-Clad D3 Stainless is the perfect choice for anyone who loves to cook. Beyond the classic stainless-steel style, you will find a well-constructed, high-performance, easy to use skillet for all, from beginner to culinary artist
- VERSATILE FOR ALL YOUR COOKING NEEDS: This 12-inch fry pan features low, sloped sides for easy flipping and turning, and a wide flat surface for searing and browning, fitting 3-4 chicken breasts at once. Each piece is crafted with quality materials to hold and distribute heat evenly throughout the pan, so only medium heat is needed for most searing, sautéing, and simmering
- MADE IN THE USA TO LAST A LIFETIME: The D3 Stainless collection features three alternating layers of American-made stainless-steel and aluminum, bonded together all the way to the rim. The classic stainless-steel handles stay cool on the stovetop and are permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets. Products are rigorously tested to ensure that every item with the All-Clad logo offers a lifetime of beauty and performance
- CONVENIENT AND LOW MAINTENANCE: All items included are dishwasher safe. For anything stuck on, use a mixture of white vinegar and water, or a stainless-steel powder cleanser, such as Bar Keepers Friend. Use a sponge or soft cloth on exterior surface
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: D3 Stainless cookware pieces are crafted in our factory in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. Each piece is compatible with all cooktops, including induction, is oven and broiler safe up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, and is covered by our limited lifetime warranty